Monday, February 23, 2009

Gold Earring Theory, Part I

I told myself stories as I looked in the mirror. The stories were about heavy eyes and a person who wore only one gold hoop earring. It looked so nice in the story that I tried on just one earring as well. My theory (as of today) is that one gold hoop earring only looks nice if you wear it out of necessity. If you wear the earring for the express purpose of melting it down for gold at some later and critical moment it will look beautiful. My thin gold-colored earring would cringe and smoke sickly puce if anyone tried to melt it down. It was obviously purposeless alone, so I put on both earrings instead.



"Wrapped in a dreamy state getting up was slow today."


The day was lazily hot and overcast. I wanted to bike languorously to work but ended up fighting wind, and trying to outrace mysterious cyclists dressed in black. I encountered tumbleweeds, swooping clans of pigeons, and dry warm dust. I took a path I'd never ridden before and stumbled upon the intersection of Don Quixote and La Mancha. "Huh!," I said, as I remounted my trusty steed (bicycle) and headed blindly back into the wind my cheap earrings clanking about my ears. I kept a suspicious eye out for windmills, but found none.

No comments: