Tuesday, February 24, 2009

As the Days get Warmer so too do my Words. (Gold Earring Theory Part II)

Although I did not wear gold earrings today, I felt as though I could have. Today was a t-shirt day. Now at 10:30pm I could still probably sit on the back steps playing the guitar and feel heat coming up through the concrete under my feet. Heat concrete, feet. That, my friend, is what gold is really about.
I woke up with a sore throat. But it was only on one side: Your left, My right. I squeezed a lemon at it. Then I got in a sour mood (was it the citrus?) I squeaked my way through a pot of tea, and finally got a friend to steal me a cup of coffee, but was I really breaking the law? My lack of gold earrings stirred about my face. I drank the coffee and began to feel just fine...

Does coffee count if you steal it? Who, other than A, will judge me if I drink coffee anyways? A always tells me not to drink coffee, but he doesn't give me convincing arguments.
I went to work all buzzed up and jittery. I was walking on shaky clouds. We played games on dry spring grass. A new student got the giggles. He laughed the whole time. His chuckling made me feel very successful. Mostly we mimed setting traps and falling into them.

After a sumptuous meal I found myself quite inexplicably forced into attending a potluck. We sat on a rug laid on a carpet, a volley of food piled up around our ankles. I was stuffed and thus refused everything but wine. I got very jolly and knocked down piles of plastic cups that Bryan built. He knocked down mine. We acted exactly like children.

(Note: At the restaurant a couple of really cute, small, french children turned to our table and announced "I have a cookie!" They were both very smug about it. Then then they started repeating themselves and adding nonsense words "I have a cookie mookie lookie dooky," "rooky tooky shooky pooky." We were being bombarded with "ooky" words. Streams of "sooky wookie looky zooky" poked our eyes and prodded our half drunk chai teas. Who taught them to do this? It was the most amazing thing that had ever happened!)

Back and forward in time now. In the strange apartment, on the floor, picnic adjacent, someone turned off the lights and we told each other of places we had been and would like to return to. My favorite was cape cod what with the coconut oil, roller blades, and salt water taffy.

I told a story about floating on my back in a lake. All I could see and feel was blue blue blue. It was like I was in the sky. To wrap up my theory on gold earrings I would like to put in one final thought --here amidst the blue sky. I guess living in Albuquerque is kind of like living in the sky. But you aren't weightless. There's something tugging at your ears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.-. .- / ..--.. .-.. ... --.- / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / -.- .... .- .- -.- / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / ---.. ---.. / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / .--. ..- / ... . .-.. --- .... / . ... --- .... - / -.--.- -.- .- -.- -.--.- / .... -.-. - .- .--. / .. / . .-.. .. .... .-- / . -- / -. --- -.. .-. .- .--. / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / .... .... .-.. --. .-. --. / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / . .-. . .... .-- -.-- .-. . ...- . / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / -.- -.- .- -.- / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / -.. --- --- .-.. -... / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / - .-. .- . .... / -.-- -- / --- - -. .. / ... . .... ... .- -.. / -.. -. .- / ... - --- -.. / -.. . .... -.-. -. ..- .--. / - ... ..- .--- / ..- --- -.-- / --..-- --. -- --- / --..-- . ... ..- .- -.-. . -... / --..-- ... . - --- -. / -.-- .-.. . ...- --- .-.. / ..-. --- / -. --- .. - .. - . .--. -- --- -.-. / .- / . -... / ... .. .... - / -.. .-.. ..- --- .... ... / --..-- --. -. .. -. -. .. .-- / -.-- .-.. . - .. -. .. ..-. . -.. / . .-. .- / ..- --- -.-- / -.. -. .- / .--. --- - ... / .-.. .-.. ..- ..-. / -. --- ... .-. . .--. / --. -. .. --.. .- -- .- / -.. -. .- / .-.. ..- ..-. .. - ..- .- . -... / - ... --- -- / .- / . .-. .- / ..- --- -.--